Preparing to Apply
You can prepare to complete the NPSC application by having at hand the following information and materials:
- Institutions of higher education from which you have received or will receive a degree: Name of institution and address; dates attended, date graduated, major, overall GPA, GPA in major, and GPA Scale of Institution.
- Employment History (Maximum of three professional positions): Dates from and to, employer's name, employer's address, supervisor's name, supervisor's title, your title, reason for leaving, and a brief description of duties. Discuss any research projects in which you participated and your role.
- Professional or Technical References (minimum of three maximum of five): You must use the NPSC Evaluation Form which you will download from the application page. Begin thinking of the professors and employers who will give you a recommendation. Discuss with them the importance of a good evaluation and ask whether they will write such an evaluation for you. The evaluation will be added to your online application.
- Scholarships, honors and awards you have received: title, date, and from which organization
- Publications, presentations, poster sessions, etc., created or presented by you: (use standard bibliography format)
- A certified copy of your transcript
- Research Experience: Include on-campus research with a faculty member, summer research institutes, and other experiences outside of course work. Include a paragraph on each describing the nature of research, your role, and whether you presented or published. This is an especially important part of the application.
- Personal statement and professional goals: Explain why you want to go to graduate school, what are your expectations regarding the NPSC and its mentoring support, what will be your graduate program, etc.